The Internet and digital technology has become an integral part of our and our children’s lives. Much of their interaction with these technologies will be positive and provide a gateway to knowledge, communication and new opportunities.
However, we know there are some aspects of the digital world that can be dangerous and destructive to the lives of our young people. It is therefore important that we understand enough about the Internet and digital technologies to keep our children safe from harm, but it is equally important that we equip our children with the skills they need to keep themselves safe, so they can experience the Internet and digital world positively and responsibly.
We regard digital safety as a priority and aim to ensure that our pupils know how to act safely, responsibly, and thoughtfully online. Staying safe online and age appropriate e-safety training is an important feature of PSHE throughout the school.
As parents you may find the links below useful sources of information and guidance.
- Thinkuknow - education programme for children, teenagers and adults from the National Crime Agency’s Child Exploitation and Online Protection (CEOP) Command.
- Childnet -a non-profit organisation working with others to help make the internet a safe place for children.
- Get Safe Online -practical advice on how to protect yourself, your children and devices against fraud, identity theft, viruses and many other online problems.
- Internet Matters - a non-for-profit organisation that seeks to empower parents and carers to keep children safe in the digital world.
- Childline - information and advice for parents and children.
- Safer Internet -a partnership between Childnet International, Internet Watch Foundation and SWGfL to promote the safe and responsible use of technology for young people.
- Digital Parent Magazine - essential knowledge, from Vodafone with online access to their Digital Parenting magazine and children's e-book, to help you guide your children through the challenges of life online.
- Keeping Children Safe - advice from mobile provider EE.
- Google's Safety Centre - build good online safety habits with safety tools from Google.
- Parent Zone - making the internet work for families.
Stories for Children
- DigiDuck's Big Decision - the Digiduck® collection has been created by Childnet International to help parents and teachers educate children aged 3 - 7 about online safety. Follow the link to an e-book featuring Digiduck® and his friends in a story of friendship, responsibility and critical thinking online.
- DigiDuck's Famous Friend - Digiduck® and his classmates are set the task of finding out who their special guest will be at school today. Through chatting online and asking questions they try to decide who the mystery guest is.